Drag Racing Vehicles - Minimum Requirements
All first time entrants are welcome! All drivers must be over 18 years of age and must hold a VALID Australian Drivers licence. Anyone with a suspended or lost licence WILL NOT be allowed to race!!
You must wear a helmet, full length clothing and closed toed shoes. Furthermore all safety requirements must be met and checked over by our scrutineering staff.
All vehicles participating at Calder Park Street Meets must have the below safety items for compliance to drag race regardless of ET or Speed. Scrutineering requirements for your vehicle are as follows:
Am I able to race as a competition car??
NO ROLL CAGE = NO COMPETITION CAR!! If your car does not have a roll cage and your car is slower than 10.99, you will need to register as a street car.
All Cars Requirements:
All wheels nuts fitted.
No hub caps or dress rims permitted.
No bald tyres unless they are a purpose race tyre. (Slick)
No mis matched tyres from left to right or visa versa.
Tyre clearance between fenders and tyres require a minimum clearance of 9.5 mm or 3/8 inches.
- Battery retention:
Battery fixed to a frame/body of the vehicle. Dry Cell (Gell) batteries are permitted inside the vehicle however particular attention will be made to the fixing of the battery. If the battery is NOT fixed using high strength (High tensile) bolts and quality materials determined by scrutineering, then it will not pass. (Note Tech Screws or self tapers, are not permitted to retain anything in a vehicle that is racing.)
- Battery: In an open cabin car, (no rear firewall like a hatch back type vehicle), regardless of the battery box, the battery should be a gel type battery only! If the boot is sealed from the cabin and they have a regular battery in a battery box in the boot then that will pass scrutineering.
Door Panels that retain interior door handles switches etc must be retained.
Back seat removal is permitted as long as the boot is sealed from a battery or fuel system if they are fitted to the vehicle.
Seat Belts must not be frayed and in operating condition. NOTE: A minimum LAP/SASH seat belt is mandatory at Calder Park. Just lap belts not permitted.
Seats that are broken are not permitted.
No broken steering wheels permitted,
No free play in steering permitted that would not pass road worthy.
Neutral Safety switch must be operational,
Neutral Lock Out on the shifter must be operational.
Vehicle must have suspension travel. Dragsters and Altereds that are purpose built race cars are exempt.
All Street Vehicles MUST retain all body panels properly. Eg, Vehicles post manufacture of 1938 without hoods not permitted. Dragsters and Altereds that are purpose built race cars are exempt.
Dual Springs on the Throttle return on ALL Engines fitted with a Carby/s.
NO Oil Leaks permitted.
General tidiness, ie, no loose wires, clamps, tools etc permitted.
All Vehicles fitted with a Radiator MUST have a Catch Can or equivalent.
- Any cars with Nitrous MUST have racing gloves, or else will not be permitted to race.
Cars 10.99 and Faster:
Cars running quicker than 10.99 seconds, as aforementioned details above and the following:
- Minimum 4 point roll cage,
- Minimum 4 point Safety Harness,
- Longer wheels studs protruding beyond the face of the rim by 1 diameter of the wheel stud.
- Open Headers permitted, but are not to point down toward the track
- NOS permitted, however, if fitted inside the vehicle, the bottle must be fitted with a vent tube from the appropriate OEM or equivalent of the bottle.
- Engine Oil Filter Clamp required on spin off type filters. NOTE: System 1 and Oberg type filter designs are exempt.
- Drive Shaft Loop,
Cars 9.99 and Faster:
Cars running quicker than 9.99 seconds, as aforementioned details above and the following:
- Minimum 6 point roll cage,
- Minimum 5 point Safety Harness,
- Personal Safety Equipment per requirements of the current ANDRA Rule Book required. This includes gloves, fire proof suit, SFI approved Helmet, Neck Brace, etc.
- Vehicles running faster than 140 mph require a parachute.
- Those who wish to enter competition class must have a roll cage or else they must race as a street car.
Motorcycle Safety Wear:
- Full leathers ONLY! Both upper and lower protection required!
- Full Leathers still required for Comeptition Entry.
- Full Face Helmet , without any visual defects, scratches or marks meeting current Australian Standards. Note a windshield visor is preferred.
- Leather foot wear, boots preferred.
- Kevlar materials permitted
- Draggin or Hornee jeans permitted (These must be identifiable with the Draggin / Hornee jeans label clearly visible)
- Full Face Helmet , without any visual defects, scratches or marks meeting current Australian Standards. Note a windshield visor is preferred
- Leather foot wear, boots preferred
- Locking Nuts or Retaining Pins through axle nuts
- Spring throttle return operational.
- Brakes, front and rear, operational,
- Lights, all operational,
- No loose fairings etc.
- Chain Guard.
- No fluid leaks
Note: All Supercharged, Turbo and Nitrous fed engines, fitted with Automatic Transmissions in cars running under 8.99 sec or quicker, MUST be fitted with a SFI approved trans blanket.
Please note that Calder Park has the right to cancel/postpone an event due to weather. Should this occur, a "Rain-Out Pass" will be issued to each competitor which is valid for 3 months and can be used at any Legal Off Street Drag meet. Unfortunately there will be no refunds provided.